Snow Rose Games
Hello! It looks like you are not logged in or registered. Please log in or register now.

When Passion and Fun Meet

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log inLog in  
WE MOVED! "www.snowrosegames.webs.com"
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Our Games

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 31 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 pm
Latest topics
» Romance RP
Today at 5:05 pm by phoenixgirl

» Where is my Light?
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:46 am by Miss Nile

» Romance RP
Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 am by phoenixgirl

» Happy Birthday, phoenixgirl!
Thu May 18, 2017 4:57 pm by phoenixgirl

» Happy (Belated) Birthday, Love! ^^
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:22 am by Miss Nile

» Romance RP
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:52 am by Miss Nile

» Romance RP
Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:53 am by phoenixgirl

» Romance RP
Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:50 am by phoenixgirl

» Register your RP's Character!
Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:00 am by phoenixgirl

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

WHat is everyone's experience with game making?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anarch

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: WHat is everyone's experience with game making?   Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:24 am

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what everyone's experience with game making is? And what if anything are you learning to improve your game making skills?

Back in high school, I made a small small mini game, where two megaman sprites would be in a level, and fought each other.
I tried RM2000 and RMXP, but never really got far past general map making. The farthest I got was one town with a couple events, and a world map or two.
I half completed a mario bros (original arcade version) style game in Visual C++

Right now I have a couple books on Ruby, which I'm hoping to learn, and make some games in, I have a couple big ideas, and a couple small ideas for games already, but until I learn Ruby, and start actually making them, there's little use talking about them.
Back to top Go down
seraphic22

Male
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: WHat is everyone's experience with game making?   Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm

I have studied both programming and games design at university. During my studies I was expected to make numerous games and a huge amount of game concepts.

Back in about ~2002 I came across a program called RPGToolkit and was in love with the idea of making (2D ^_^) RPG's ... I made a game for about 5 months then my HDD crashed and I lost it all.

Now 6 years later and more study then I care to remember and I am starting to pick RPGToolkit back up. Though I have the ability to code in a variety of languages, I have no need to go for anything major since I really don't want to be bogged down coding a graphics engine.
Back to top Go down
phoenixgirl

Female
Number of posts : 54906
Location : Somewhere in New Domino looking for the love of my life ^^
Title : Hoping to be Yusei's greatest love
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: WHat is everyone's experience with game making?   Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Anarch,

This is a nice topic and well, since it's pretty quiet here, I might as well give my voice and all. Wink

Well, it's weird but I don't have any experience with making games. The only thing that I can really do is come up with great storylines. From what I understand, part of what makes a good game is a good storyline and the other half is the technical aspect of it. Like I had heard from one of my friends a little while back that she had tried this freeware game and although on the technical aspect, it was good, storywise, it was very boring. It doesn't engage the player and wouldn't interest him/her in wanting to play it and see what happens.

But anyway, getting back on topic, yeah, the only thing I can do at the moment is write up a storyline although I am exploring the idea of making my own game. But that's a long term goal since I am quite busy with other things at the moment. Wink

Thank you for making my new set, Love.  ^^
Back to top Go down
seraphic22

Male
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: WHat is everyone's experience with game making?   Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Games are always a long term goal since they take a long time to make. If you are at all serious about making one you do need to learn some basic programming, nothing hard but at least something.

Suggestions on what you should know:
-Conditional statements (the if, elseif, else commands)
-loops (the for loop and the while loop)
-Functions
-Variables (int, string, bool)
-Maybe a little about objects and classes (this depends on what you will be using)

This makes up the majority of what you will be programming. You will need to know a bit of specifics to whatever engine (ie RPG Maker, RPGToolkit, Game Maker etc) you are using, reading through manuals usually will be enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHat is everyone's experience with game making?   

Back to top Go down

WHat is everyone's experience with game making?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Snow Rose Games :: The RMXP Forums :: RMXP Help and Discussion-
Jump to: